Sunday, July 3, 2011

Torment (Fallen, #2) by Lauren Kate, Book Review



Hell on earth. That's what it's like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel. It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts - immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students -Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn't told her everything. He's hiding something - something dangerous. What if Daniel's version of the past isn't actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else? The second novel in the addictive
Fallen series . . . where love never dies.



Rating: 4.5/5

In the second installment in Lauren Kate's New York Times bestselling book series about angels and demons, the book opens with the protagonist, Lucinda "Luce" Price traveling across the country from the muggy pastoral setting of Savannah, Georgia to the rural dimension of a heavily-wooded area in San Francisco, California.

In Fallen, Luce and Daniel fought to be together and now, in Torment, they fight tooth and nail to stay together. I quite enjoyed the difference in scenery. Shoreline and its students created a magical atmosphere that I found quite enjoyable.

At first, I was disappointed in the fact that characters from Fallen weren't going to be featured in Torment, but I found it delightful that some of my favorite characters made a cameo or two. Characters that you loved from Fallen, such as Arriane and Gabbe, and Roland, as well as some characters that you may have not found as pleasurable: Molly.

As usual, I felt the intense emotions that Lauren Kate is able to create through visual effects. I felt the contemplation that Luce felt while battling feelings for more than one man. I felt sorry for Daniel, one of my favorite literary characters, and desperately wanted to console him in his time of need. I often have the desire to root for the underdogs in books and take them under my wing. Daniel was portrayed as a golden god in Fallen, and I was glad to see a different side to him in Torment. I felt the pain and suffering that he felt, as well as the light radiating from within himself when he finally reunited with Luce.

I missed Daniel in Torment, but when he finally returned to Luce and they had a wonderful, magical reuniting, it literally tugs at your heart strings and makes you want to cry happy tears and hug them.

I was on my seat the entire time, biting my nails, constantly wondering what would happen next. Torment was a fantastic installment in Lauren Kate's Fallen series and I cannot wait to see how Luce and Daniel's love grows further in later installments.

The third book, Passion, is out already and my SIGNED copy is in the mail as we speak. I hope it will come in the mail tomorrow, on Monday. *Fingers crossed*

Right now, I am reading an ARC (advanced reader copy) of Forever by Maggie Stiefvater and will finish that up very soon and review it ASAP for you guys. Thanks for following my blog and make sure to share with other book lovers!

Up next: Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater [ARC review]

xoxo,
Casey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment