Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1) by Josephine Angelini, Book Review


How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is--no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together--and trying to tear them apart.
Title: Starcrossed
Author: Josephine Angelini
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 487
Release Date: May 31, 2011
Source: Bought
Format: Hardcover
Rating: 5/5
I love Greek mythology, which was one of the main reasons why I picked up Starcrossed. I heard rave reviews about it and have to say I've hopped onto the Starcrossed bandwagon. I loved the content, and loved how Angelini incorporated ancient Greek myths into the twenty-first century in a creative and nostalgic modern day retelling. I loved the romance, which reminded me fondly of the tragic and epic relationship between Romeo and Juliet...you know, if Romeo and Juliet were from fueding demigod families. The only thing I wasn't too fond of was the main protagonist, Helen. The other characters, however, I was really pleased with and can't wait to read more about them in the upcoming sequel, Dreamless. I highly recommend!
-Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment