Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2) by Rachel Caine, Book Review



Rating: 4/5

Claire has her share of challenges. Like being a genius in a school that favors beauty over brains; homicidal girls in her dorm, and finding out that her college town is overrun with the living dead. On the up side, she has a new boyfriend with a vampire-hunting dad. But when a local fraternity throws the Dead Girls' Dance, hell is really going to break loose.


After reading Glass Houses, I was expecting an amazing novel that left me even more excited to continue the series than Glass Houses, but I felt as if this book kind of dragged on. The plot felt frayed, like an old pair of ripped blue jeans. The book was just...tired. Does that make sense?
Anyway, the book was still good but I just wasn't feeling it. When the book finally picked up, it was about the last twenty or so pages when 'the dance' took place. I don't want to discourage any of you from pursuing the series, but be prepared to take a flop in a series once in a while. And let me make this very clear: it was a very good book, but it just didn't have the buzzing chemistry that I liked so much in the prequel, Glass Houses.
The characters, like in Glass Houses, were great. They were still very humours and and family-like. I honestly felt like I could be their friend, that's just Caine's writing style. What helped me get through this book were the characters and they just cracked me up. You find yourself wanting to laugh, cry, and throw the book across the room all at the same time. Definitely check it out, y'all.

xoxo,
Casey :)




No comments:

Post a Comment