Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Swoon (Swoon, #1) by Nina Malkin, Book Review




Torn from her native New York City and dumped in the land of cookie-cutter preps, Candice is resigned to accept her posh, dull fate. Nothing ever happens in Swoon, Connecticut...until Dice's perfect, privileged cousin Penelope nearly dies in a fall from an old tree, and her spirit intertwines with that of a ghost. His name? Sinclair Youngblood Powers. His mission? Revenge. And while Pen is oblivious to the possession, Dice is all too aware of Sin. She's intensely drawn to him -- but not at all crazy about the havoc he's wreaking. Determined to exorcise the demon, Dice accidentally sets Sin loose, gives him flesh, makes him formidable. Now she must destroy an even more potent -- and irresistible -- adversary, before the whole town succumbs to Sin's will. Only trouble is, she's in love with him.
What do you do when the boy of your dreams is too bad to be true?


Title: Swoon
Author: Nina Malkin
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 425
Release Date: May 19, 2009
Source: Publisher
Format: Hardcover
Rating: 2.5

*I received a review copy of this title from Simon Pulse in exchange for a 100% honest book review.

Swoon tells the story of a seventeen-year-old girl named Candice "Dice" Moscowitz who moves from her beloved home in New York City to live with her aunt, uncle, and cousin and a very preppy, conformist community in rich and privileged Connecticut. When Dice's cousin, Penelope "Pen" dies, she comes back but possessed by the spirit of the ghost of a man named Sinclair "Sin" Youngblood Powers whom was hanged in the seventeenth century. The novel chronicles the adventures of Dice as she tries to exorcise Sin and save Pen.

The plot-I loved the plot and the concept more than the book itself. I love the idea of possession, ghosts, spirits, etc. and I was really looking forward to reading this book. I love Nina Malkin's writing style, even though it may be hard to follow at times, it is very unique and different.

The characters-I loved the characters. I thought that all of the characters were very real, and I felt as if they could actually be real people in the normal, mundane world. I loved Dice and Sin; I thought that Dice was a great heroine and Sin was a very dark hero.

The setting-I loved the setting in this novel, because it presses important societal issues such as conformity, individuality, and pushes the boundaries of acceptance. I loved the harsh reality of this book--Nina Malkin is definitely not afraid to write very provocative, mature scenes.
All in all, Swoon was an okay book. I gave it a 2.5 because I liked the plot and the characters, but I hated the pacing--I wish the action-adventure scenes would've been more amped up.


No comments:

Post a Comment