Sunday, December 4, 2011

Abandon (Abandon, #1) by Meg Cabot, Book Review



Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back. But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid. Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away... especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most. But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.

Title: Abandon
Author: Meg Cabot
Publisher: Point
Pages: 304
Release Date: April 26, 2011
Source: Publisher
Format: Hardcover
Rating: 4

*I received this title from the publisher to read in exchange for a 100% honest book review.

Let me start off by saying that before reading Abandon, I hadn't read anything by Meg Cabot. Wait--I take that back. I have read two books my Cabot: Code Name Cassandra (1-800-Where-R-You, #2) and Sanctuary (1-800-Where-R-You, #4) although they were read years ago and they were for middle grade readers. I loved the Princess Diaries movies based on the series of novels, and I also enjoyed the film adaptation of Avalon High, so I went into Abandon expecting good things. I wasn't let down.

The premise of this book is basically a seventeen-year-old girl dies, comes back to life, is branded as psychotic, gets into major trouble at her school, and is shipped off to live with her eco-friendly mother in Florida versus her power-hungry father in Connecticut where the previous drama had taken place. Ever since Pierce (the girl) died and came back, she had been stalked by a smokin' hot bad boy named John--John Hayden, and omigoddess, he is gorgeous! I even found myself falling in love with him.

I LOVED the plot of this book. It is about Greek mythology, and can be summed up in one sentence: Abandon by Meg Cabot is the modern-day retelling of the ancient Greek myth of Persephone. I really enjoyed seeing how Cabot adapted the myth into a modern-day scenario and flew threw this book.

The characters were great, too. I loved the heroine, Pierce, and her attitude and outlook on everything that takes place during the course of the book. I really liked how Cabot wrote a kind, caring protagonist who is more than willing to put others first. John Hayden was an amazing hero and I loved how he was protective, mysterious, and alluring. He was like a mixture of Edward Cullen from Twilight and Jace Wayland from City of Bones--two of my favorite heroes from two of my favorite series.

The setting of this book was great. The small, haunted island of Isla Huesos, Florida was eerie, spooky, and kind of frightening. Ravaged by storms and plagued by the haunted spirits of deceased pirates and island-people, Isla Huesos was the ultimate magnet for all things weird and freaky. I loved every single minute of it.

All in all, I thought this book was kind of slow in the beginning, but the ending totally made up for it. I was completely and totally lost in the Underworld of Cabot's mind and I cannot wait for the next book in the series, Underworld.

No comments:

Post a Comment