Sunday, February 12, 2012

Emily Gossett Interview-2/12/12


Me: How long have you wanted to be an author/writer?
Emily: I have always wrote screenplays for my films that I direct and produce. It was something that just fell on me without warning, and now has taken over my crazy life. I love it, a new dimension I tapped into.

Me: What is Awaken Me, your novel, about and how long did it take you to write it?
Emily: Awaken Me is a new modern twist on supernatural creatures. "After witnessing the horrific murder that was committed by her fiancé just days before their wedding, Aimee immediately flees from the life she knows. Lost in Greece, Aimee is inevitably and uncontrollably thrust into a supernatural world where she is terrified to learn what she really is. Crouching at every corner lies a new confusing memory that torments her from her previous life, while her feelings of love cease to die, but awaken more deeply for the mysteriously handsome stranger, who wants to rescue her. Battling the man, who she mistakenly still loves is a bigger conquest than imagined, but can she free her captured thoughts from the man who owns her? Facing the ultimate decision, to lose all humanity by becoming the weapon the Rogues desire most, or to destroy the creation of love. Can Aimee make the sacrifices needed to overcome deceit, love and her power that is irrepressibly blood thirsty?" ... It all started with an intense dream I had, which starts the same way my first chapter does, and I literally couldn't stop writing when I woke up. It took me a week to have the first draft, then three months to refine the story.

Me: Will Awaken Me be a standalone novel or the first in a series?
Emily: It is a series, A connected Novel. There will be a total of three books. I'm already half way done with the second book.

Me: What was it like when you first saw Awaken Me lined up against bestsellers such as The Twilight Saga, The Vampire Academy Series, The House of Night Series, etc.?
Emily: Wait what??? Really? I think I am having mild heart palpitations. Those are some high standards, and as a new author its overwhelmingly exciting. All I hope for is that the readers will fall into a new world and get lost in it.

Me: Are you managing any other careers along with writing? If so, how do you find time to both write novels and juggle other another career(s)?
Emily: Lol. Yes, I laugh because sometimes I don't know how I juggle it. I direct/produce indie films and music videos. I have been working on the option rights to a book series that inspired me to be a filmmaker to begin with. I have high hopes to make them big films, I have caught the attention to a few big time execs. Fingers crossed. I love with a huge passion creating, films, worlds etc. Writing a book has been a new and almost scary terrain to cross. I love both. As far as time, I love being busy.

Me: Would you like to see Awaken Me be made into a movie/TV series?
Emily: I would. I actually would like to make Awaken Me a movie in the next four years, after the full series is out. I'm already working on doing a teaser of the first chapter to gain interest. So we shall see.

Me: If Awaken Me was ever picked up by a movie or TV company and they let you cast the characters, whom would you pick and why?
Emily: Hmmmmmm, well. I have a few people in mind that caught my eye. But I would love to see what the casting director has in mind. I haven't been set on specific people.

Me: What's the hardest thing about writing?
Emily: Over thinking. Just write, let it flow. At least thats' what I'm trying to learn still...Don't think about how many pages you have or how many words.Get the story down first. Still my own mind can drive me crazy with what if's.

Me: What's the easiest thing about writing?
Emily: For me it was the dialogue, character's and plot.

Me: Did your story ideas and plot line flow naturally or did you have a few bumps in the road?
Emily: Actually it flowed, I didn't blink or hesitate while writing. It was in my head building cases and outcomes while I ate or took a break. I couldn't think of anything else for the week I spent writing it. My husband thought I went crazy.

Me: Are you currently working on another novel/book series?
Emily: Yes I am. I'm excited about it too. I love Ireland, and will be there as well as New York. I have notes jotted down, ready to go.

Me: What is Awaken Me really about? Vampires? Fallen Angels? Werewolves?
Emily: Vampires, Werewolves, and many more as the series continues.

Me: If you could give one piece of advice to aspiring authors, what would it be?
Emily: Don't stop writing. Or listen to negative people, if anything use them as examples of what not to be. If you can see it, you can do it.

Me: Did your parents, relatives, friends, co-workers, etc. support your writing? And, without their support, do you think Awaken Me would ever have been possible?
Emily: My family is one of my biggest support systems, since I was little they have always told me to go after anything and everything that I was passionate about, and believed in me. So as far as if they didn't support me, I would still push for Awaken Me, that's the kind of gal I am. When I start something I finish, no matter what my outcomes could be. When I say I will do something, I do it.

Me: Where do you see yourself ten years from now?
Emily: That is a great question... Doing what I'm doing now.

Me: If you could work with any author, who would it be and why?
Emily: Where do I start??? Francine Rivers. She is one of the most amazing authors, and I would love to just meet her, and if I ever got to work with her, Lol, I'm getting excited even at the thought.

Me: Who is your favorite author and is your writing style similar to theirs?
Emily: Francine Rivers, But Richelle Mead as well. I don't think my writing is similar to either authors.

Me: What is your favorite part of a book?
Emily: The last paragraph, its hard to finish a novel and keep the flow and energy to the last page. The last paragraph I like to close the book and digest what I just read.

Me: When naming your characters, do you give any thought to the actual meaning?
Emily: Yes, each character was created for a purpose, I love watching them grow as the story moves along.Each character was inspired by different people I know, or knew over the years. Some great, some pure evil. lol.

Me: What are the major themes of your work, or would you prefer to leave that for the reader to determine?
Emily: I would like to leave it to the reader. Sometimes I can get carried away,and I might just tell the whole story. I get excited.

Me: What do you think makes a novel great?
Emily: I think there is a lot of things that make novels great, dialogue, plot, execution, etc.

Me: How do you conceive your plot ideas?
Emily: My dream really formed an idea, and it grew into a monster. It really created itself. I didn't have a sent plan, I just wrote to see where it would lead to.

Me: Have you ever written a book that you have not been able to publish?
Emily: Well this is the first book, so I wouldn't know.

Me: How long did it take you to publish your first book after you started writing?
Emily: First I got an agent, he had a different plan for me. So I dropped him. I decided to look on my own, and found a great Publisher. I wrote the book in Feb. went to the publisher in June.

Me: How have your personal experiences affected your writing?
Emily: Reading as well as what my experiences have been, has changed my writing for the better.

Me: What genre of books do you like to read? Do you limit yourself to only the genre that you write yourself?
Emily: I love historical fiction, to supernatural, as well as aliens. I have no limits.

Me: What advice would you give to aspiring authors who encounter…*gasp* writer’s block?
Emily: To take a break, and play music that inspires them.

Me: Thank you for spending time with me to answer these interview questions.
Emily: Thank you for having me!!! I enjoyed your questions! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment