Saturday, May 5, 2012

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, Book Review



There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.
Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


Title: Beautiful Creatures
Author: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pages: 563
Release Date: December 1, 2009
Source: Gift
Format: Hardcover
Rating: 5/5

I cannot believe I waited so long to read this book!  At first, I was hesitant due to the book being through the perspective of a male character, and I haven't read many books through the perspective of male characters, but I'm so glad I read this book, gifted to me by a fellow book lover (Ellen Trieu from http://www.shadowmundane.blogspot.com) I tore through Beautiful Creatures so quickly because it was amazing!  I loved the characters, the plot, the originality, the pace, everything!  And I really enjoyed reading about a small, Southern town...even though I happen to live in one myself.  I visited the town where the authors based Gatlin off of when I was thirteen and they absolutely nailed the creepy/spooky depictions of the haunted antebellum mansions, cobblestone-lined streets, monster-sized trees dripping with Spanish moss, and crumbling graveyards.

To put it simply, Beautiful Creatures was an amazing read, and I highly suggest that all of you read it before the film adaptation releases in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment