Monday, May 21, 2012

The Dark Divine (Dark Divine, #1) by Bree Despain, Book Review


Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared--the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in his own blood--but she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night held.

The memories her family has tried to bury resurface when Daniel returns, three years later, and enrolls in Grace and Jude's high school. Despite promising Jude she'll stay away, Grace cannot deny her attraction to Daniel's shocking artistic abilities, his way of getting her to look at the world from new angles, and the strange, hungry glint in his eyes.

The closer Grace gets to Daniel, the more she jeopardizes her life, as her actions stir resentment in Jude and drive him to embrace the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind the boy's dark secret...and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it--her soul.


Title: The Dark Divine
Author: Bree Despain
Publisher: Egmont USA
Pages: 372
Release Date: December 22, 2009
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4/5

The Dark Divine sat on my shelves for over a year before I finally picked it up and decided to read it.  The cover is gorgeous, mysterious, and alluring, and the synopsis sounds really interesting, but after trying to get into the book time and time again, I could barely get past the first page.  Something about the voice of the narrator annoyed me, and I just couldn't stand it, but I knew it was time to push myself through and just get through the book.  After starting out slow and draggy, The Dark Divine really picked up towards the end--the very end.  I wished that some of the action and adventure had been distributed throughout the entire novel.

I really hated the characters in this book.  I constantly found myself wanting to slap the narrator, Grace, because she was so frustrating and annoying.  Jude, Grace's brother, was mopey and depressed the entire novel.  Grace's supposed "best friend" April was a total flake--April only spoke to Grace in the first chapter and at the very end because she was all wrapped up into her boyfriend, and I thought that was kind of screw-y for someone to just ditch their "best friend" when a cute boy comes along.  The only character that I actually liked was Daniel because he was so sweet, kind, romantic, and caring towards Grace even when she didn't deserve it because she was off with the guy with a 'hundred watt smile' right after telling Daniel how much she loved him.  Ugh!

The beginning was slow and draggy, and the characters were extremely annoying, but because of the climatic, action-packed, romantic ending, I give The Dark Divine a 4/5 (if the ending wasn't as exciting as it was, I would've given it a 3/5.)




No comments:

Post a Comment