Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Laney: The Brookehaven Vampires (The Brookehaven Vampires, #1) by Joann I. Martin Sowles, Book Review



Rating: 4/5

In a small college town in Northern California, Laney Alexander leads a regular, uneventful life–that is, until the charming and alluring Oliver Knight enters her world. Who is this gorgeous and mysterious stranger? Or, rather, what is he?

As Laney’s sophomore year of college begins, so does an unbelievable adventure–including a love she didn’t know she longed for. She soon learns that Oliver is not ordinary, nor is the rest of his family, including a sister who openly hates her and a brother who will stop at nothing for revenge. As she fights for her life, and Oliver’s love, Laney discovers that the fictional world of vampires isn’t so fictional after all. Nobody is safe, especially Laney, Oliver’s most important priority, and he will stop at nothing to protect her. With her mortality at risk, and a commitment revealed that she, without a doubt, knows she wants, Laney’s life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn...

I recently finished Laney: The Brookehaven Vampires by Joann I. Martin Sowles, a self-published debut novel by a stay-at-home wife/home schooling mother. Let me start off by revealing my rating for Laney. I decided to rate this book 4/5 stars. Me, being a vampire addict, decided to read Laney and was glad that I did because it was a pretty good book.
Laney chroncicles the life of a young college girl named Delaney (Laney, for short) and her best friend, Kiera. Throughout the book the main plot focusses on Laney wanting to be with dreamy, heroic Oliver Knight. Of course, Oliver isn't just your average gorgeous college jock, no. There is something special about Oliver and Laney pegs him as unique from the very beginning. I enjoyed how Laney gradually, yet surely, fell in love with Oliver. Although, love at first sight is always a good road to take. :)
At first, I will admit, Laney reminded me of The Twilight Saga (One of my FAVORITE book series) just because of how Laney compared Oliver to being overly gorgeous on every page (hey, there's no problem with that...just saying.) :)
As the book progressed, Laney became more and more distinct and shied away from Twilight with every passing page. I love how Joann I. Martin Sowles wrote her characters. I loved Oliver's family and couldn't get enough of Julz (my favorite character...besides Oliver...but Julz still semi-beats him.)
Laney was a book that I was able to take my time reading, at least at the beginning. I paced myself and took my time reading the first hundred pages. After that hundredth page mark, I absolutely devoured Laney and am anxiously anticipating the sequel: Darkess.
Joann I. Martin Sowles created a world full of mythical creatures in Laney and kind of left us on a cliffhanger at the end, so I'm excited to see further character and plot developement. If you like vampires, romance, or young adult fiction books in general, pick up Laney at your local bookstore today. Show your support for Joann I. Martin Sowles by checking out the sites below:

The Brookehaven Vampires: http://www.brookehavenvampires.com/

The Brookehaven Vampires Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/The-Brookehaven-Vampires/137895539569115

Twitter: http://twitter.com/joannsowles

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4191700.Joann_I_Martin_Sowles

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/BrookehavenVampires

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment